Monday, May 28, 2012

A delightfully normal day. (+ pigs!)

Lest you think I have more bad days than good, I wanted to share highlights of today with you. A good day, on all accounts.

First of all, the school year is winding down, and today was my last day with kindergarten for the school year. They each got a certificate saying "____________ is an English STAR!" They were pretty stoked.

They're a handful and a half, but I love 'em!

I still have one more session with second grade, but we snapped our class photo today too. These kiddos too- total goofballs.

Personality x 10!


After school my roommate and I stopped at a friend's house to return something we had borrowed. This exchange was a reminder of why life in Haiti is good- absolutely lovely, sweet people with generous hearts.

Then tonight after dinner (avocado BLTs...super-delicious) we went to our friend Adeline's house because she had informed us earlier in the day that the pig living by her house had just had babies! 
Now. If we're friends, you probably know that I'm a big fan of farm animals. As in, I really really love them. And I especially love pigs, because they're always smiling! Yeah, I know, they're dirty, diseased, all that. Whatever. They're still cute.
Once Adeline told us that the piglets had been born, I was determined to see them and hold at least one. Adeline had told us months ago that this pig was pregnant, and I had informed her that she needed to let me know when the babies arrived. (I'm telling you, I'm serious about this!) So after dinner we jumped in the car, on a mission to hug some piglets. The photos below (taken by Teri) successfully capture the ensuing events.

The anticipation!

Heeeere, piggy piggy piggy... 
(My friend Toto is a champ, and grudgingly obliged when I said "Toto, catch one!")

We're going in!

Win!
(At this point, I'm so excited that I'm flapping, and Toto is thinking Oh. my. word. I can't believe I'm doing this.)

Uhh...really excited.

I'm aware that we look like proud mama and papa with our piglet-child. I don't think Toto wanted to be in the picture, but we made him. He played a starring role in this adventure!

So there you have it, a really good day that reminded me of many things I love about this place. My God is so good to bless me with such sweet, unexpected gifts! I hope that you've seen and recognized joy in this day as well.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! And I love that you were careful to capture pictures of the baby pig-holding incident. Smart girl :)

    Goodness knows I love farm animals myself (remember when I brushed the goat's beard at Baugher's?), but your love of farm animals reminds me a bit of what you have dubbed my "penchant for brightly colored foods". It's all good stuff :)

    Looking forward to seeing your face tonight!

    ReplyDelete