Friday, November 18, 2011

Speaking a new language (on so many levels!)


Well, hello from Haiti! We’ve been in-country for about a week and are so far doing really well (thank you for your prayers, please keep them up!). We arrived last Friday and have spent the week getting settled in our new apartment, studying Creole, getting to know the children, and doing odd jobs at the school site.

One of the aspects of adjusting to Haiti that is hitting me full-force is my need to learn the language, and the sooner the better! Knowing French is a very helpful stepping stone on my way to speaking Creole, but I still have lots of learning to do. Phrases like “Bonjou” (good morning), “Koman ou ye?” (how are you?), and “Mwen kontan wè ou” (it’s nice to meet you) only take me so far. Praise the Lord for my teammate Teri (who speaks much better Creole than we other three) and kind, gracious Haitians who speak English or French and are more than willing to help us out.

Interestingly enough, Creole isn’t the only new “language” I’m learning here. Driving, for example, has its own complex communication system.  In the United States, if you’re honking your horn, it usually means “Watch out!” or “Get off the road, you idiot!” Does it mean that here? Sometimes. But it could also mean “I’m going to pass you now- don’t run into me!” It could be a friendly hello to someone you know on the street or in a passing car, or even a “Hey, jump in the bed of my truck and I’ll give you a ride!” It likely means other things too; I just haven't figured them out yet.

And time- “School starts at 8:00” generally means that school starts at 8:00. But “I’ll be there in twenty minutes” could mean “I’ll be there in an hour” or it could mean “I actually don’t plan on coming at all.” You just never know.

One of the things that was heavily emphasized at my training in Colorado was that, on the whole, different isn’t bad; it’s just different. And sometimes different, if we’re open to it, can be better than “my way” of doing things. What a foreign notion for us North Americans! It’s a good lesson for this type-A, slightly OCD, white girl to learn. :)

I’ve experienced the Gospel in some really unique and special ways this week- mostly moments of grace. My new Haitian friends have shown me grace upon grace as I have haltingly attempted to learn life here, and God has given me grace to begin to accept and even learn from differences that I cannot (should not) change. Lord have mercy, that I may continue to receive grace so that I might also give grace.

PS- Props if you made it through this long post. I imagine you’re eager for pictures- expect some soon!

3 comments:

  1. What a nice little gift to get this small window into your new life! I laugh at your cultural observations- the driving "etiquette" and the "timeliness" of Haitians- all things I experienced in Haiti when I was there and in the DR every summer. They both have a way of either adding more tangles to your life or combing out all the frenetically knotted points of stress we Americans have. :) I continue to pray for you- especially this week as we celebrate Thanksgiving back here in the States. May your heart overflow with gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you! So it was good to hear a little of what you're up to, or at least some of the new things you are encountering. Can't wait to hear more and of course to see some pictures :)

    But all in due time ... I can be patient <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear from you. Continuing to pray! I can't remember, did you have PILAT before SPLICE?

    ReplyDelete