Saturday, February 16, 2013

Food for thought.

So, media fast is officially over. It was good, and I learned stuff. But if I can liken the stuff I learned to a baked good, well, it needs more time in the oven (sorry, me and the food references these days...).

I think it started a lot of good things in me, but they're still maturing, and not well-formed just yet. So I'm going to beg your patience a bit longer, but in the meantime, here are two quotes that I read recently that have stirred something in me. They came from a book I just finished reading, A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans. I know I sort of always say this, but I think everyone should read this book. It has important things to say about the American church and our beliefs about women and the lens through which we view Scripture. It is also hilarious. You may not always agree with Rachel, but she will make you think. And if you don't know anything about this book, please don't judge it by its title. You are bound to be surprised.

So without further ado, some inspiration care of my girl RHE:

Drop Thy still dews of quietness,
Till all our strivings cease;
Take from our souls the strain and stress,
And let our ordered lives confess
The beauty of Thy peace.

-John Greenleaf Whittier


And a prayer from St. Teresa of Avila:

Let nothing upset you,
Let nothing startle you.
All things pass;
God does not change.
Patience wins all it seeks.
Whoever has God lacks nothing.
God alone is enough.

May God's peace be yours this week and in this Lenten season.


2 comments:

  1. Do you own that book? And may I borrow it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i borrowed it from the library on my nook! if your library doesn't have it, you can use my card to check it out. although maybe you still have a Lancaster library card...?

    ReplyDelete